Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Spring is coming

In the past 30 or so hours since I took these pictures we have had a major lake effect snow event. It blew in off of Lake Ontario and reached all the way to the western Berkshire Mountains in Massachusetts. Schools and colleges in the north country around here either closed or had delayed openings. As I type it is still snowing. I don't know when it will stop. I checked on some of my flowers today and they are still hanging in there.

Winter aconite. This specimen is in my front yard near the end of the driveway. It is now covered under at least an inch of snow but that's okay because these little guys can take it. The bright yellow flowers are a big pick me up in dreary end of winter landscape.





Crocuses are also early bloomers and when you see them you know that spring is on its way. I have purple, yellow, and striped specimens in my front and back yards (none of the striped ones where up when I was taking photos).













Snowdrops. These from my backyard. I would have missed them blooming if I hadn't noticed the winter aconite and gone looking for what else was blooming.















Daffodils bloom a little later in early spring. These daffodils are in my front yard. Their flowers should open in another week or so. I have daffodils in other parts of the yard that aren't this far along yet though. The tulips that are planted along with these daffodils won't be in full bloom until April and May.