Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Star Fighters

At this time of year gardens tend to be shriveling under the summer heat. There aren't many flowers that can stand up to the heat and humidity, or lack there of depending on what kind of summer you're having. Oriental lilies bring new life, bright colour, and gorgeous scent to the mid to later summer garden.

I've got the Star Fighter variety in a couple of spots in my garden. (These are in front yard next to the house.) I'm a sucker for a good name. This one makes me think of spectacular battles in space. I want more. In another year or two I'll dig and separate the bulbs in hopes of increasing my supply.



Star Fighter 1 Posted by Picasa



Star Fighter 2 Posted by Picasa



Star Fighter 3 Posted by Picasa


There is another variety called Star Gazer that has little or no white in the petals that I have been coveting for years. The bulbs are a bit pricey though and I haven't been able to talk myself into spending the money on them yet. (Here I am going on about price when they're practically on sale at White Flower Farm. I may go shopping tomorrow.)


Star Gazer Lily Posted by Picasa



Casa Blanca is beautiful white oriental lily that I think would go well with Star Fighter and Stargazer but again I just can't bring myself to plunk down the chunk of change for them. (These are twice as much as the Star Gazers.)


Casa Blanca Lily Posted by Picasa